Monday, October 24, 2011

My Very First Crochet Reveal Session - My Granny Square Rug is now complete!!!

As you can see it is far from being bed sized but perfect for DVD watching and snuggling on the lounge!
 
I can't believe it,,,,,it is finally finished.  After teaching myself to Crochet using "The Art of Crochet" series, I have finally finished my very first rug.  As you can see it isn't one for the bed, it is one for those cold nights, snuggled up on the lounge watching DVDs.  My Hubby has claimed it as his own despite the kind of girly colours of pink and purple in it lol (but hey he keeps seeing he is Sensitive New Age Guy lol so it fits).  Hubby's only complaint is that it is now getting warmer weather and he won't get to really use it until next winter,,,,oh well.

I wanted to make it nice and bright to add a little pizazz to those cold winter days


This rug has taken me, I think, about 6 months to complete.  When I started I was a complete newbie to granny squares and they would take me a good half hour or so to do.  By the end of this rug though, I was able to whip a granny square out within about 10 minutes,,,huge improvement!  I enjoyed making the granny squares, the bit I really hated was the joining together of them all!  This took me quite a while as I just wanted it over and done with and some weeks I simply couldn't bring myself to do any work on it lol.  Once I got it done though, I found a renewed interest in it as I began my outer edge.

I would like to say a big thank you to Lucy at Attic24 for her great tutorial on Granny Blanket Edging.  It made the rug come together nicely.  If you haven't visited Lucy's blog before, and you enjoy crochet or for that matter just love bright bursts of colourful photographs I urge you to have peek at her blog.  She has inspired me in so many ways.  When I finished this on the weekend, I excitedly said to Hubby "Wow now I can have my Tah-Dah Moment".....he just looked at me and said "Your what???".  I just laughed and said "Nevermind, its a Lucy thing".  As you can guess the conversation went on with the usual, "who is Lucy?" and in the end I showed him her blog.  He didn't quite have the same appreciation for it as I do but hey its a girly kind of thing!



This rug has given me a confidence boost and I have already started on my next project.  My next crochet project is going to be a scarf for Miss12 for next winter.  (Yes, I know lol, I am going from a rug, back to the basicness of a scarf,,,,,,,but I wanted to make a few things that I can get through a little quicker!)

I have decided I am just going to work through my  "Art of Crochet" magazines making each of the things I have flagged (believe me there are many, many items lol, I am only  up to magazine 60, so half way through the collection and I think I must have flagged at least 100 items that I would like to make!).  I love the patterns in these magazines as they are written in simple terms that beginners can understand.  Normally I don't like the weekly collectable magazines as I think they are very expensive for what they are, but I am really enjoying this collection and I know that I will get alot of use out of it so I have made it my little treat each week.

Okay back to the housework,,,,,,this house is a bomb site!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, awesome rug, love the colours, definstely lots of family snuggles under that for years to come!!

The Duck Herder said...

OH WOW!!!!! what awesome colors! I think that might be a technicolored dream coat!

Rose said...

I just loved the rug ! How did you made it so neatly and beautifully?! I wonder if I can make only a little of what you made:)
Am I Creative?
Do you have the ability to generate new ideas, use imagination and make new decision?
Am I Creative?
Do you have the ability to generate new ideas, use imagination and make new decision?

Melissa said...

wowzers...

i only WISH i could crochet!!

it's one craft that , and knitting, which i haven't really applied myself to- although i love it ...i buy others work when really i should do as you have and get myself a book on it and just launch in!!

i believe it's very calming....

Melissa- Miss Sew & So
xx

Unknown said...

Brilliant rug! What a great achievement and a very well earned "Ta-Da" moment :))
Greenie x

Tania said...

The blanket looks fantastic Colleen! You have done a great job...

Wishing you many more happy days of crocheting :)

xTania

OurGangof7 said...

Thanks everyone :-)

I'm certainly happy that I have finished it! Finishing that was just the boost I needed to get going and just try things. I have never been an overly crafty person. I have dreams of being one, but just never had the time or money to really get into something. Crochet is one thing that you can do pretty cheaply if you just use the acrylic wool, which is what I have done. I didn't want to spend a fortune on wool, to find that I gave up or it just didn't work right. Once I have a few projects under my belt I will probably buy the better wool.
Knitting is something I can't get into,,,,,it seems to take too long lol. Crochet is faster!
I really want to learn to sew,,,that will be my next ambition I think (although I like crochet because of its portability lol).