Thursday, March 24, 2011

ANTS CLIMBING TREES.........this my friends is a recipe not about the little black guys lol

OK now that I have established that I'm not talking literally about the little 6 legged critters that inhabit our yards around the world, I would like to share with you a recipe that my kids thought would be fun to try.  I found this recipe quite some time ago on the internet somewhere and stashed it away, never quite game to actually try it lol because the name kinda freaked everyone out.  Well in my new found determination to try out all these recipes I have been storing away for the last few years, we  have given it a go.......and the results, weren't too bad at all.  The kids all really liked it.  While it isn't a recipe that I would make on a regular basis, it is something that is quick and easy to whip up, especially when you have a lot of kids to feed!

Please note that the photo was taken of a double batch as I wanted leftovers. I also didn't add the chillis, nor did I garnish with coriander, simply because I didn't have any coriander and my kids don't like things too hot so I thought the chilli sauce would suffice on its own.

This is a dish which is of Chinese origin.  It is apparently so named because the mince is meant to look like ants climbing up a tree (the noodles).  I didn't quite see it like that but lol I guess sometimes you need your imagination turned on.  Overall though it was quite a nice dish.  Next time I will serve it with stirfried veggies as well, or maybe even mix the stirfried veggies through it to make it less noodly.



ANTS CLIMBING TREES
200 grams rice noodles
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce (low salt)
1 teaspoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
1 teaspoon cornflour (non wheaten)
350 grams lean pork mince
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon ginger
1-2 red chillies, chopped (I left these out)
2 teaspoons hot chilli sauce
2 shallots, sliced
coriander sprigs for garnish (optional)
extra chilli for garnish (optional)

Place the noodles in a bowl of hot water and soak for 15 minutes and drain.
Combine soy, sugar, sesame oil, Chinese rice wine and cornflour in a bowl.  Add mince and mix to combine.  Set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
Heat peanut oil in wok.  Add garlic, ginger and chilli.  Cook for 30 seconds.  Add chilli sauce and mince and cook for 5 minutes until browned.
Toss through noodles until combined.
Serve sprinkled with shallots, chilli and coriander.

No comments: